Friday, July 27, 2007

One of many

A couple brief words of introduction and purpose:

I'm currently entering my fourth year working toward a PhD in history at Loyola University Chicago. My focus is on modern Ireland, paying particular attention to cultural history, the historical function of memory, and the First World War. My dissertation will address a number of questions that take all of these issues into account.

Like many individuals pursuing a doctorate in history I someday hope to secure a tenured faculty position, although this suggests it's unlikely to happen. Regardless, I plug along in pursuit of the ultimate goal. I hope that this can be a forum for me to address issues and concerns I have with my degree program in the hope that it can help others navigating similar terrain. At the same time, I want to be able to provide positive feedback about my personal progress in the program and, hopefully, useful suggestions that others might utilize.

A few quick facts about me:
I finished coursework in the Spring of 2007.
I passed my minor field comprehensive exam in Spring 2007 (American history)
I will take my major field comprehensive exam in November 2007
I am the president of Loyola's History Graduate Student Association

No comments: