Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Once" in a lifetime moment

I've been meaning to make a quick comment on the Irish at the Oscars, but only had the time now. I, for one, was pleased to see a number of Irish nominees in various categories. The highlight for me was the performance and win for best original song from the film "Once." For those not in the know, Glen Hansard also had a role in the film "The Commitments." In "Once" Hansard's songwriting takes center stage. Granted I may be biased toward all things both Irish and musical, especially when they merge, but I really believe the best song won on Sunday. The three songs from "Enchanted" lacked substance, and the tune from August Rush was also over produced and slick. When Hansard encouraged people to "make art" in his acceptance speech he was speaking as one who already had. When compared to the other songs in the category, "Falling Slowly" was the most artistic of them all. It's a great song, from really good film, written by superb musicians. Kudos to Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova on a job well done and an award well earned.

2 comments:

Tim Lacy said...

I was happy that they let Ms. Irglova back on stage to make her acknowledgments!- TL

Lunchbox said...

I agree. She spoke well, and it's such a once in a lifetime thing (excuse the pun) that they really should have let back.