Friday, March 7, 2008

The political use of WWI memory: An American case

Granted, one of my minor fields is American history, but I'll be the first to tell you that I find the subject dour and boring. Nevertheless, when I came across this article on CNN I had to pause for moment. It discusses the recent honoring of the last American WWI vet. As someone who studies the First World War and it's memory, I find this blatant use of the memory of the war for political ends to be deplorable. The entire gist of my dissertation is to challenge this sort of official, top-down politicization of WWI memory in Ireland. The most interesting aspect of this article, at least for me, was the desire of others outside the bounds of the government to have a proper memorial to the veterans of the First World War in the national mall. I'm not suggesting the Mr. Buckles should not be or is unworthy of being honored. That's not the case as at all. Furthermore, I think it's great that his story garners national attention. It's just the timing of the event I have a problem with. In the midst of an election year, where the Iraq war is a hot topic. To truly honor Mr. Buckles, the government should have honored him this past November. After all, in America Veteran's Day is on the 11th of November, which is Remembrance Day in Britain and Ireland, a day which derives its importance from the end of the First World War.

No comments: