Monday, August 25, 2008

Coping with life as a poor graduate student

As I made clear earlier this summer, the debacle with my credit card in Europe was a truly trying experience. Unfortunately, the worst effects of it are only now being felt. I can reasonably say that entering my 5th year of graduate study this is the first time I feel like I am on unstable ground financially. Yes, I won a research grant this summer and have a fellowship in the coming academic school year, but the former only helps to pay off the credit card debt I do have and the latter only really helps with cost of living expenses. There is little to help replenish my devastated savings. Perhaps I should have taken out a larger student loan this year, but it looks like its too late to adjust that. Honestly, I'd prefer to have a higher credit card bill that I know I can pay off over a longer period of time and be more stable, than to be able to pay off the bill quicker but face financial straights. The timing couldn't really be worse for all this, but there's not a whole lot to be done at this point except to ride it out.

On the research front, in addition to the database program I found, I also got a copy of MacSpeech Dictate. This is pretty much exactly what it sounds like, dictation software. It lets you speak to your computer and it will type out what you say. I figured since I have so much stuff to go through, a lot of which is in JPEG format and thus unable to be copied and pasted to a text document, this would be good and efficient alternative. The only real problem is that my iBook G4 runs a PowerPC processor and the program needs and Intel Mac. Luckily I can use Katie's MacBook while she's at work. Right now I'm just waiting for my microphhone headset to arrive and I'll be good to go. It will be good to start getting through this material so I can delete some of it from my iBook's hard drive. Sure I have it all backed up on an external hard drive and archived on DVDs, but I can't bring myself to delete the 20+ Gigs of photos from my hard drive yet, even though they're sucking up almost half of my hard drive space and contributing to slow performance (even worse than I was experiencing before, which were the result of putting Leopard on such an old machine). Add a new Mac laptop to my list of things I need but can't afford at the moment.

Throughout all of this I've tried to keep a "Candide" attitude telling myself that everything will work out. Let's hope that Voltaire's satire isn't just that in this case.

4 comments:

Tim Lacy said...

Lunchbox,

Are you sure it's too late to adjust your financial aid for the year? It's only the first week of classes.

What's the name of the data program you learned about from Lew? Are you using it? I could be game with an informed write-up.

- TL

Tim Lacy said...

BTW: I ~am~ sorry to hear about the financial troubles. At least, for now, you have some excellent memories from a fun summer?! - TL

Mike Nicholsen said...

Lunchbox,

Tim's quite right about the adjustment. You can always request a loan reinstatement, if need be. Call financial aid, tell them you'd like a reinstatement, they'll give you more money. It sucks to borrow, I agree, but you do what you have to do. Good luck.

-Mike

Lunchbox said...

Tim & Mike,
Thanks for the feedback. I tried to change it via LOCUS, which didn't seem to work this time around. On your advise I'll see what I can do.

Tim - Lew uses a program called AskSam. Since it's on my PC I'm not really using it. But I may poke around a bit and see what it's capable of. Perhaps a write-up is warranted.

Mike - Congrats on the visiting. I saw that on the revamped department website. It's well deserved.