Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Steady as she goes

Just a few updates from the past week. On the dissertation front things are progressing steadily. I've been both going through material and starting to write. I put together a brief outline today about what I think the first chapter will look like based on everything I've seen the past few months. I'm trying to decided where to make a chapter break. The primary period of concern is the interwar period, but the entire project goes to the present. For the interwar period it seems easiest to just break down the chronology with one chapter for the 1920s and one for the 1930s. I could stretch the chronology of the first chapter from 1918-1932, and then the second from 1932-1939, with de Valera's ascension to power in 1932 as the watershed moment in the interwar years. I'm still trying to figure out which chronology to use. I'll have to look at the material from the 1930s more thoroughly before I made a final decision though. This week and last week I was going through the 1920s. So time will tell. Is it lazy to just break things down by decade?

What else has been going on? Let's see. The Michigan game on Saturday was an absolute travesty. Given the weather and the fact that ND weren't working with a brand new offense, I'm not terribly surprised that Michigan lost. Any team that fumbles the ball 7 (!!!) in a single game and loses 4 of them deserves to lose. Hopefully the bye this weekend will help big Blue to get their heads out of their collective asses against Wisconsin.

I'm also playing bass in a band now. We have a show this coming Sunday. Not the best night of the week to play a show, especially since it's at 11:15pm, but any excuse to play is fine with me. I'll probably have some reflections on the gig next week.

No comments: