Monday, September 22, 2008

The week that was

Since my last update a few interesting things occurred. The section of the diss I'm working on now relates to Irish ex-servicemen and housing in the 1919-1932 period. I spent some time this week trying to track down an Act of Parliament that was passed in 1919. That's the sort of thing one would expect to find online, but alas, I was informed that this is not so. They (how ambiguous) have only gotten the Acts through the 17th century digitized. Fortunately, I found a reference at Loyola's law library that seemed useful, and ended up finding a bunch of books that had what I wanted. It's nice that Loyola actually had what I needed - a rarity to be sure. Progress this week was a bit slow though. To make a long story short, my laptop if four years old and cannot handle running multiple programs at once any longer. Hell, it hangs when I just try to use the internet. Today, I ordered a new MacBook (well, a refurb) and I'm really pleased with the prospect of getting a new machine. Since my student loan money came in this week, I've been able to clear my credit card debt, and I should be able to pay off the new computer very shortly as well. Regardless, I'm looking forward to being more efficient with a serviceable computer.

In other news, the band I'm playing in - Fat Tuesday - had a gig tonight (Sunday) in the city. It was fun to get out and play again. Being my own harshest critic, I don't think I played great, but I played well enough. I even got to sing a song, though I couldn't hear myself in the monitor and my throat was dry. The worst part about the gig, besides having an 11:15pm start time on a Sunday night was that NONE of my friends showed up. How sad is that? I must have told at least 70 people and not a single one stopped by. I don't know if that says something about me, my friends, or Sunday nights. Our next gig is in the city on a Saturday night. If similar circumstances prevail, I'm looking for new friends. Other than that, the gig was fine. I had a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

1 comment:

Tim Lacy said...

Sunday nights are tough for fans---especially those of us with kids! ;) But give me plenty of advance notice on the next one, and I'll do my best! - TL