Monday, October 27, 2008

Chapter X initial draft

I have to call it "Chapter X" because I'm not sure what number it will be. Does the introduction count as chapter 1? If so it'd probably be chapter 3, if not, chapter 2. Today I finished a first draft of Chapter X. Of course, this is a first draft in the most basic sense. It's basically a 48 page recitation of the evidence I plan to use for the chapter organized in chrono-thematic fashion. The structure is rudimentary at best, and there is no analysis yet, but still it feels like a pretty big accomplishment and a solid departure point for crafting the chapter further. I know what direction I want to take the chapter, it's just a matter of doing it now and getting some constructive feedback along the way. At present, I plan to put this one on the shelf and work on its compatriot chapter - same time period, different thematic focus. Once I have evidence drafts of both chapters done I'll go back and do some more of the analysis and plug in the secondary works.

On Sunday I was reading a chapter in an edited collection that helped me to re-think some of the theoretical aspects of the project, particularly those relating to memory, and the ways in which the Irish experience differs from other areas, namely Britain. While thinking about these things I also thought about how to frame Chapter X, which was something that I was struggling with because it does not deal with memory in the traditional sense of commemoration and remembrance events. What clicked was that those rituals were aimed at the men who died during the war, but a different memory landscape existed for those who survived and returned. It's here that the subject of Chapter X, the British Legion's approach to housing and employment issues, fits into the memory rhetoric.

Is it better to get the evidence drafts done and go back and touch them up or to complete an evidence draft of each chapter and then go back and doctor the whole thing? If I get in a real rhythm with the evidence drafts that might be the way to go. Any thoughts on the writing process are welcome. Also, any thoughts about at what point is it prudent to have my adviser take a look? Would feedback at this time be too vague, or is it worth a conversation just to make sure things are on the right track?

1 comment:

Tim Lacy said...

Lunchbox,

My advisor wanted some polish while reviewing individual chapter drafts, so what you're calling an "evidence draft" might not work. My advice? Check with your primary advisor on what he/she wants. And just know that even better chapter drafts, and even those approved right now by your advisor, will be revised when he/she sees more chapters or reevaluates your whole work together on completion.

If the advisor is willing, I'd have he/she review at least the first few. They may want more. The goal is make the revising at the end less laborious and, most importantly, less of a surprise. Minimize surprises. You don't want a bunch of crap brought up in a defense that you would've been happy to correct a year ago.

- TL