Friday, October 3, 2008

Updates

Nothing much going on here, aside from a turbulent weekend last. Due to some irresponsible inebriation I lost a number of personal effects, but, for the most part, have resolved all the problems something like that causes. To make matters worse, I had a gig on Wednesday evening, and, once again, none of my friends showed. Apparently the Cubs game was a major deterrent. Oh well. Two more shows coming up in the next month. If this trend continues I might have to invest in some new friends. Either that, or give up live music, but who really wants to do that?

Another thing of interest next week is a meeting of a Dissertation Writing Group organized by some of my colleagues in the Loyola history department. The first meeting is on Monday and I'm intrigued to see what the whole thing is about. I'll post any thoughts or suggestions as they come.

The new computer continues to be a boon. I've got a lot of material for the current section of the chapter I'm working on. I think next week I'll get back to writing and hopefully get a chunk of the chapter done! We'll see. The one thing I have noticed thus far is that it is easy to get carried away with detail and context. Currently I'm looking at the way housing for ex-servicemen contributed to the memory of the Great War in Ireland. It is necessary to give background on the various organizations charged with overseeing the construction of ex-servicemen's houses, but at the same time there is a fine line between giving context and getting into administrative history. I'm trying to avoid the latter. Perhaps this is something to bring up with the dissertation writing group, right?

No comments: