Sunday, June 15, 2008

Futbol, not football (Otherwise known as soccer)

This weekend I decided to take it easy. The National Library was only open from 9:30-1pm, so I figured by the time I got there an got settled it'd be time for me to go anyway. Tomorrow will bring a full day there regardless. So I went into the city to knock a few things off of my To Do list. Namely, I went to Leo Burdock's Fish & Chips. I got a huge piece of fish and fries. It was amazing and was the first filling meal I've had in a week. Living off Peanut Butter & Jelly gets a bit old. (Even the Ramen noodles here are a rip off - almost $2US for a single package! Are you kidding me? $2 will get 20 in the States!!! But I digress.) Having gone to the city with my Finnish roommate, she wanted to get a pint after the Fish & Chips since Burdocks is a take-out only place. So we walked around Grafton St. and got a pint. Then we found our way to what is the closest thing to a sports bar in Dublin (I would assume) to watch the European Cup or whatever the current soccer (futbol, not football) tournament is called. Sweden was playing Spain and it was actually a pretty entertaining game. We had gone to watch The Netherlands vs. France on Friday evening and that game wasn't very exciting. But it was definitely an experience to watch soccer at a crowded bar in Europe. The people here really love their football. By the time the game was over we had spent enough time in the city and headed back to UCD. I spent the remainder of the evening looking through the Irish Times online archive and found some useful articles. So the day wasn't a complete academic waste!

Sunday looks like it will be pretty lazy. No real plans for the day, just taking it easy. We'll see.

No comments: