Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Learning to Deal, or Tales from the National Library of Ireland

When I first arrived in Dublin the first place I went to get a reader's card was the National Library. They have the best newspaper collection in the Republic, if not the whole island so I knew I'd have to spend at least a few days there. They issued me a temporary reader's card, which, although it wouldn't allow me to access the manuscripts, should do the trick. I found out today that wasn't the case. I tried to request some books and the gentleman behind the desk told me had to see my reader's ticket. When I produced the temporary ticket I was issued he informed me that the books I requested were deemed rare and thus could only be accessed by someone with a permanent readers ticket (this is the one that you need to bring 2 passport size photos for - completely ridiculous). Since I only planned to be there the duration of today and tomorrow I didn't think it was worth it to get the full readers ticket because I didn't know how long it was good for, when, or if I'd be back, how much the photos cost, etc., since I had a lot of newspapers to go through anyway. The librarian was very friendly and I could tell he empathized with my position, but I've come to the conclusion that Irish archives in general are behind the times, especially with what I've heard about the British National Archive and some places on the Continent and in the States. The whole scam of "licensing" in regard to making copies of newspapers is aggravating, especially when I could just snap a digital photo, get a better quality reproduction (still within my licensed limit of one copy per document) and get through the materials faster. No wonder it takes people forever to finish this degree. [Note: The British Library has similar policies, but it's more expensive because of the dollar:pound conversion, but they have an even better collection than the NLI. I just can't win!] I plan to go back to the National Library tomorrow before spending two days at the UCD archive just down the sidewalk from my place of residence. I think I'll be glad to get out of Dublin. I love the country, but Dublin is not for me.

That said, today's work was a combination of aggravation and productivity. For about 2-3 hours during the middle of the day there were three people using the Microfilm Printing machines that would not relinquish them. Let me explain to clarify. The NLI has two rooms filled with microfilm readers. Most of the readers simply allow you to view the microfilm and don't have printing capabilities. There are three machines that can print. Now, the policy - that is not at all enforced even though the printing machines are visible from the librarian's desk - is that patrons are to use the non-printing machines to view their films and then use the printing machines when they need to print. This is actually a good policy because then the printing machines are continually free and no one is just sitting at the same printing machine all day. Everyone gets an opportunity to print when they need to. Of course, it doesn't work like this. There were three gentlemen, and I use that term loosely as the policy is clearly posted, sat the the printing machines all afternoon. I finally just gave up and took notes on what I wanted to print and tomorrow I'll recall the reels and print them out. What a pain in the ass though. People can be so rude.

Also, the National Library is one of the largest (in terms of collection) and most important research institutions in Ireland, but they seem to be unawares that people might want to do large scale research there. The printing card for the microfilm machines come with either 2 or 4 copies on them (costing 1 or 2 Euro, respectively) and they have no way to sell bulk copy cards. One has to go down to the book store and buy multiple 1Euro cards, unless you have a healthy supply of 2Euro coins to put in the card machine upstairs. For example, if you want 40 copies, like I did today, you have to go to the book store and buy 20 cards for 1 Euro each that hold 2 copies per card. Ridiculous.

Can you tell I'm less than thrilled with the National Library of Ireland? To their credit though, the staff there is nothing but great. I think their directors need to rethink some of their policies though. I mean Jesus Christ. I'd rather use my digital camera and pay the library for each picture I take - that way they still get their 50cents per copy and I get work done faster. The money is only part of the problem. Time and copy quality are even more significant for me at this point.

Did I mention that when I got off the bus to come home it started to rain. Naturally, it stopped by the time I got to my apartment. Thanks Ireland. You made my day today.

On the bright side, since I had time to go through some more papers today with the printing machines being hogged, I found some decent material. And by the end of the day (9 hours total) when the printing machines were free I was able to print some stuff out. Needless to say, I'll be glad at the end of the day tomorrow when I'm done at the NLI for this trip. Chalk this one up to a learning experience.

Ironically, I'm finding that the Irish Times is probably the best source for news anywhere in Ireland and it's completely digital and searchable. I think if you have an Irish IP address you can access their archival content free. It might be worth the price to subscribe to their digital archive once I get back to the States though. Thanks to the Irish Times archive I'm finding a lot of information about veterans activities post-WWI. I can conceivably see this project shifting the emphasis of memory to the wings and focusing more on the British ex-servicemen. I'd want to have some stuff, probably a chapter or two on commemoration and memory, unless I can convincingly put a memory spin the material on veterans. Of course that's all to be seen once I get home and actually go through all this material I'm collecting.

A final note: I found out yesterday that I received a Summer Research Grant from Loyola. The money will be a made help in offsetting the cost of this trip which is all coming out of my savings. I'll have to take a few days this fall when I get home to dedicate to looking for grants to help fund me next year once my fellowship is up in '09.

2 comments:

Mike Nicholsen said...

Well, like I said, the NL is kind of a pain. If you really want to go nuts, ask them for the Treaty debates. Good luck with the rest of the research trip.

Lunchbox said...

Mike you weren't kidding. Not in the least. Yesterday was a bit better, but that place needs a wake up call or a new board of directors in the very least.