Friday, June 13, 2008

Week 1 in the books

The last couple of days have been pretty productive. I think I've got some good material, but only time will tell if my time in Dublin has been worthwhile. Mine is a difficult topic to get at, so hopefully some of my tangential approaches will pay off. That's to be seen though.

Thursday morning I went back to the National Archive and took some pictures in the morning. By the time I had finished that and gone through a few more files it was time for me to go. I had an appointment at the Guinness Storehouse at 1pm. I walked over to Guinness where I had a huge amount of files to go through. Most of them pertained to the actual war years with very little discussing the long-term effects of the war or the company's attitude toward it. There was, however, some very good material on the creation of the company's Roll of Honour, which I'm sure I will be able to use.

Earlier in the week I went to the grocery store and bought some granola bars to serve as a lunch substitute. Of course, I forgot to bring any on Thursday. Needless to say I was exhausted by the time I was done at Guinness (probably 4:30-4:45). Since it was still kind of early I decided it would be prudent to go to the main bus station to get a bus ticket for Cork next week. So I walked to the main bus station from Guinness, which is clear on the other side of the city. When I got to the bus station the person at the ticket window tickets had to be bought the day of your trip. Poop and pee. Then I walked from the main bus station to my bus stop, which was probably another 15-20 minutes.

Today was much simpler. I made sure to pack a granola bar and went to the National Archive. I think I've looked at pretty much everything I need to see there, at least for the time being. The National Library is open tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go there or not. I need to go through some of my materials and see how things stand. Perhaps I'll do a half day and allow myself to sleep in a bit. Regardless, I'll probably be there on Monday.

I'm not really sure what I'll do this weekend otherwise. I'm sure I can find some cost-effective entertainment. I was talking to a couple of the guys who work at the desk at the National Archive today and they were saying how expensive Dublin is, and that I might even be able to afford a pint when I go to Cork. Let's hope so!

No comments: